- Ph.D., Education, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto
- Teaching Credential, Toronto Teachers College, Canada
- B.Ed, University of Toronto, Canada
- M.Ed, Brock University, St. Catharines, Canada
- B.A., University of Waterloo, Canada (Faculty of Arts, Elizabethan Drama)
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2013 Outstanding Educator in America Award from the Association of Educators in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Distinguished Fellow in Critical Studies in Education, School of Critical Studies in Education, Faculty of Education, University of Auckland
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and Commerce
- Fellow of the American Educational Research Association
- Distinguished Fellow in Critical Studies, Chapman University
- The Central New York Peace Studies Consortium Lifetime Achievement Award in Peace Studies
- First Annual Social Justice and Upstander Ethics in Education Award presented by the Department of Education, Antioch University, Los Angeles.
- Ana Kristine Pearson Award in Equity in Education and Economy presented by The Center of Education and Work, the University of Toronto.
- International Award in Critical Pedagogy, Ministry of Education, Venezuela
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Pedagogy and Theater of the Oppressed, Inc. and Miami University of Ohio.
- Lifetime Achievement Award. Faculty of Education, University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Award of Honor in Critical Pedagogy. Department of Adult Education and Lifelong Learning, Ankara University, Turkey.
- Honorary Director, Center for Critical Pedagogy Research, Northeast Normal University, Changchun China.
- Division B Outstanding Book Recognition Award by the American Education Research Association 2016.
- Society of Professors of Education Book Award, 2016.
- 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award in Critical Media Literacy presented by the Critical Media Literacy Conference at Georgia Southern University in Savannah, GA
- 2017 Educational Research Association (AERA) Division B Lifetime Achievement Award
Teaching & Research Interests
- Critical pedagogy
- Critical ethnography
- Political sociology of education
- Critical theory
- Marxist theory
- Evolutionary social movements
- Critical race theory
- Social justice education